Selenium is a set of tools that supports development of test automation for web-based applications. Selenium supports multiple browser platforms.
Selenium can be used for Functional and Performance Test Automation for web based Applications.
Selenium is composed of three major tools. Each one has a specific role in aiding the development of web application test automation.
Selenium-IDE is the Integrated Development Environment for building Selenium test cases.
Selenium-RC (Remote Control)
Selenium-RC allows the test automation developer to use a programming language for maximum flexibility and extensibility in developing test logic.
Selenium-RC provides an API (Application Programming Interface) and library for each of its supported languages: HTML, Java, C#, Perl, PHP, Python, and Ruby.
Selenium-Grid allows the Selenium-RC solution to scale for large test suites or test suites that must be run in multiple environments.
o Firefox 3.x, Firefox 3, Firefox 2
o IE 8, IE 7, IE 6
o Safari 4, Safari 3, Safari 2
o Opera 10, Opera 9, Opera 8
and Google Chrome
* Tests developed on Firefox via Selenium-IDE can be executed on any other supported browser via a simple Selenium-RC command line.
** Selenium-RC server can start any executable, but depending on browser security settings there may be technical limitations that would limit certain features.
Selenium is highly flexible. There are multiple ways in which one can add functionality to Selenium’s framework to customize test automation for one’s specific testing needs.
Selenium-IDE allows for the addition of user-defined “user-extensions” for creating additional commands customized to the user’s needs.
1) What does SIDE stand for?
2) What is the difference between an assert and a verify with Selenium commands?
3) What Selenium commands can be used to help debug a regexp?
4) What is one big difference between SilkTest and Selenium, excluding the price?
5) Which browsers can Selenium IDE be run in?
6) If a Selenium function requires a script argument, what would that argument look like in general terms?
7) If a Selenium function requires a pattern argument, what five prefixes might that argument have?
8) What is the regular expression sequence that loosely translates to "anything or nothing?"
9) What is the globbing sequence that loosely translates to "anything or nothing?
10) What does a character class for all alphabetic characters and digits look like in regular expressions?
11) What does a character class for all alphabetic characters and digits look like in globbing?
12) What must one set within SIDE in order to run a test from the beginning to a certain point within the test?
13) What does a right-pointing green triangle at the beginning of a command in SIDE indicate?
14) How does one get rid of the right-pointing green triangle?
15) How can one add vertical white space between sections of a single test?
16) What Selenium functionality uses wildcards?
17) Which wildcards does SIDE support?
18) What are the four types of regular expression quantifiers which we've studied?
19) What regular expression special character(s) means "any character?"
20) What distinguishes between an absolute and relative URL in SIDE?
22) What Selenese command can be used to display the value of a variable in the log file, which can be very valuable for debugging?
23) If one wanted to display the value of a variable named answer in the log file, what would the first argument to the previous command look like?
24) Where did the name "Selenium" come from?
25) Which Selenium command(s) simulates selecting a link?
26) Which two commands can be used to check that an alert with a particular message popped up?
27) What does a comment look like in Column view?
28) What does a comment look like in Source view?
29) What are Selenium tests normally named (as displayed at the top of each test when viewed from within a browser)?
30) What command simulates selecting the browser's Back button?
31) If the Test Case frame contains several test cases, how can one execute just the selected one of those test cases?
32) What globbing functionality is NOT supported by SIDE?
33) What is wrong with this character class range? [A-z]
34) What are four ways of specifying an uppercase or lowercase M in a Selenese pattern?
35) What does this regular expression match?
37) What are two ways to match an asterisk within a Selenese regexp?
38) What is the generic name for an argument (to a Selenese command) which starts with //?
39) What Selenese command is used to choose an item from a list?
40) How many matches exist for this pattern?
42) What is the oddity associated with testing an alert?
43) How can one get SIDE to always record an absolute URL for the open command's argument?
47) What string(s) does this regular expression match?
48) regexp:August|April 5, 2010
49) What Selenium regular expression pattern can be used instead of the glob below to produce the same results?
50) verifyTextPresent | glob:9512?
51) What Selenium globbing pattern can be used instead of the regexp below to produce the same results?
52) verifyTextPresent | regexp:Hush.*GcReddy