Interviews Experience of a Software Testing Professional
Note 1: Testing process may vary from one company to another; documentation may vary from one company to another, but we must have awareness at least one type of process then we can follow any type of process
Note 2: Generally in any area concepts are two types one is global concepts another is local concepts.
An Experienced Software Tester faced the below Questions in his last 2 or 3 interviews.
A) General / HR
1) Why are you looking for a change?
2) Why you chose Software testing as a Career?
3) What type of coordination do you expect from your collogues?
4) Are you interested to take new responsibilities if required?
5) Do you know about our Company?
6) Why are you staying with one company for a long time?
7) Are you willing to relocate?
8) Are you willing to work on shifts?
9) Which roles do you like, Leader or follower, why?
10) What are you expecting from our company?
11) Why do you like this job?
12) What are your strengths?
13) What is your weakness?
B) Application & Test Environment
1) In Microsoft Windows, how many types of Operating systems are there, what are they, and give examples?
2) What is the difference between UNIX and LINUX?
3) What is the difference between Web Server and Application Server?
4) Differentiate Intranet, Internet and Extranet Applications?
5) Give brief description about the .Net Technology?
6) Can we operate a windows based application on UNIX Environment, Explain it?
7) Give brief description about the Java Technology?
8) What is the Main Purpose of XML in the Web?
9) What are the difference between General Programming Languages (C, C++, Java, and VC++ etc.) and Scripting Languages (VB script, Java script and Perl Script etc.) ?
10) Give definitions for the Master Data, Metadata and Runtime Data?
11) Explain about the IP Address and the MAC Address?
12) What are the major advantages in Web Applications than Client/Server
13) Give brief description about J2EE?
14) What is IIS, give explanation?
15) What is the Configuration Management?
16) Do you know about embedded systems, give brief explanation?
17) Can we have 3 tier applications with out having web Technology?
18) What does the Build Deployment mean?
C) Software Engineering, Quality Standards:
1) What are the different phases in SDLC?
2) Give brief description about the Agile Development Model?
3) What are the differences between Waterfall Model and V model?
4) How can we choose a Life Cycle Model for a Project?
5) What is the major Difference between ISO, IEEE standards?
6) What is the relation between CMMI and Life Cycle Model?
7) What is the difference between Verification and Validation?
8) What is Software Quality?
9) Differentiate QA and QC what types of documents would you need for QA, QC and Testing?
10) What is the Difference between QA and Testing?
D) Manual Testing Concepts:
1) What is the difference between Inspection and Informal Review?
2) What is peer review, give an example?
3) What is Exhaustive Testing?
4) How metrics improve the quality of a Product?
5) Where do you get your expected results?
6) What is the difference between Static and Dynamic Testing?
7) What is exploratory Testing?
8) Define Test Strategy and Test Plan?
9) What is an equivalence class? Why it is important while writing Test Cases?
10) What is boundary value analysis give an example for it?
11) What is the difference between function and Procedure?
12) What is a bug? What types of bugs do you know? What should be done after a bug found?
13) How can it be known when to stop testing?
14) What is the difference between build version and Software Version?
15) What if the application has functionality that wasn’t in the Requirements?
16) What is different between Black Box and White Box Testing?
17) What are Test Scenario, Test Case and Use Case?
18) What is the Initial stage of testing?
19) When is good time for system testing?
20) What is the purpose of the testing?
21) What is logic?
22) What is a variable?
23) What is your base for your test cases?
24) What is the difference between priority and severity in a defect Report?
25) Describe the phases of Testing?
26) What is the difference between Test Driver and Test Stub?
27) Did you work with Use Cases?
28) Did you use any tools to write Test Cases?
29) What document did you refer to write the Test Cases?
E) Test Automation Concepts (Selenium):
1) What type of Test Cases can be Automated?
2) What type of Test Cases Can't be Automated?
3) What are the Important Factors in a Test Tool selection?
4) Explain the Testing Process in Selenium?
5) Explain About POM (Page Object Model) in Selenium?
6) What is Test Automation?
7) What is Parameterization?
8) What is Synchronization?
9) How to debug Test cases in Selenium WebDriver?
10) How to connect to a Database?
11) How to generate detailed Test Reports in Selenium?
12) What is TestNG and why we integrate TestNG with Selenium?
13) How can we reduce the code size in Selenium?
14) What is your company’s Automation Framework and explain it?
15) How to add Verification points to Selenium Test Cases?
17) How to Parameterize Selenium Test cases?
18) What is Maven and why we integrate Maven with Selenium?
19) How to Configure Selenium in your project?
20) How to conduct Cross Browser testing with Selenium, explain it?
21) How to conduct Data Driven Testing in Selenium?
22) How to conduct Batch Testing?
F) Tester Role and Responsibilities:
1) Tell me about your Current Project? / Explain about your Current Project?
2) What are your responsibilities in your current Project?
3) How many Test Cases did you write for this project?
4) How many Defects did you detect in your project?
5) Write 2 or 3 Test Cases from your Project?
6) To whom do you report in your Company?
7) What is your company Testing process?
8) What is the latest defect that you raised in your project?
9) What will you do that your defect is rejected?
10) What risks did you face in your project? How you solved them?
11) Differentiate Priority and Severity in your Defect Report?
12) What is the Bug Life Cycle Process in your Company’s Defect Management System?
13) How will you report daily/weekly status in your Organization?
14) What are metrics? In your projects what metrics did you collect?
15) What is your Company automation framework, explain it?
16) What are your capabilities in test automation?
17) Generally, when will you plan for test automation for a project in your company?
18) When should testing start in a project? Why?