Interview Questions on Quality Standards
1) What ISO?
ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is the world’s largest developer of voluntary International Standards. International Standards give state of the art specifications for products, services and good practice, helping to make industry more efficient and effective. Developed through global consensus, they help to break down barriers to international trade.
ISO develops International Standards. ISO founded in 1947, and since then published more than 19 000 International Standards covering almost all aspects of technology and business.
2) How ISO is related to Software Testing?
The aim of ISO/IEC 29119 Software Testing is to provide one definitive standard for software testing that defines vocabulary, processes, documentation, techniques and a process assessment model for software testing that can be used within any software development life cycle.
3) What is ISO/IEC 29119?
ISO/IEC 29119 comprises 4 parts:
Part 1: Definitions & Vocabulary
Part 2: Test Process
Part 3: Test Documentation
Part 4: Test Techniques
4) What is ISO Test Documentation Standard?
Test Documentation standard covers test documentation across the entire software testing life cycle.
Organizational Test Process Documentation:
– Organizational Test Policy
– Organizational Test Strategy
Test Management Process Documentation:
– Test Plan (includes test strategy)
– Test Status Report
– Test Completion Report
Dynamic Test Process Documentation:
– Test Design Specification
– Test Case Specification
– Test Procedure Specification
– Test Data Requirements
– Detailed Test Environment Requirements
– Test Environment Readiness Report
– Test Outcome
– Test Result
– Test Execution Log
– Test Incident Report
IEEE have given ISO permission to use the well-known IEEE 829 Test Documentation standard as a basis for this part of the standard.
5) What is ISO Test Techniques Standard?
ISO Test Techniques standard covers a variety of common dynamic software testing techniques:
Specification-Based Testing Techniques:
– Equivalence Partitioning
– Classification Tree Method
– Boundary Value Analysis
– State Transition Testing
– Decision Table Testing
– Cause-Effect Graphing
– Syntax Testing
– Combinatorial Test Techniques, including:
-> All Combinations
-> Pairwise Testing
-> Each Choice Testing
-> Base Choice Testing
– Scenario Testing
– Error Guessing
– Random Testing
Structure-Based Testing Techniques:
– Statement Testing
– Branch Testing
– Decision Testing
– Condition Testing, including:
-> Branch Condition Testing
-> Branch Condition Combination Testing
-> Modified Condition Decision Condition (MCDC) Testing
6) What is IEEE?
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers describes itself as “the world’s largest technical professional society.It provides standards for Power, Energy, Telecom, Information Technology and Aviation etc… Industries.
7) What is IEEE 829 Standard?
An IEEE standard for Software Test Documentation, Provides Test documentation templates from Test Planning to Test Closure.
Test Plan: A detail of how the test will proceed, who will do the testing, what will be tested, in how much time the test will take place, and to what quality level the test will be performed.
Test Design Specification: A detail of the test conditions and the expected outcome. This document also includes details of how a successful test will be recognized.
Test Case Specification: A detail of the specific data that is necessary to run tests based on the conditions identified in the previous stage.
Test Procedure Specification: A detail of how the tester will physically run the test, the physical set-up required, and the procedure steps that need to be followed.
Test Item Transmittal Report: A detail of when specific tested items have been passed from one stage of testing to another.
Test Log: A detail of what tests cases were run, who ran the tests, in what order they were run, and whether or not individual tests were passed or failed.
Test Incident Report: A detail of the actual versus expected results of a test, when a test has failed, and anything indicating why the test failed.
Test Summary Report: A detail of all the important information to come out of the testing procedure, including an assessment of how well the testing was performed, an assessment of the quality of the system, any incidents that occurred, and a record of what testing was done and how long it took to be used in future test planning. This final document is used to determine if the software being tested is viable enough to proceed to the next stage of development.
8) What is IEEE Test Plan template?
IEEE 829 Test Plan Template
1) Test Plan Identifier
3) Test Items
4) Features To Be Tested
5) Features Not To Be Tested
7) Item Pass/Fail Criteria
8) Suspension Criteria And Resumption Requirements
9) Test Deliverables
10) Testing Tasks
11) Environmental Needs
13) Staffing And Training Needs
15) Risks And Contingencies
9) What is IEEE Test Case template?
IEEE Test Case Specification Template
1) Test Case Specification Identifier
2) Test Items
3) Input Specifications
4) Output Specifications
5) Environmental needs
6) Special Procedural Requirements
7) Inter-case Dependencies
10) What is IEEE Test Incident Report template?
Test Incident Report
3) Cover Page
4) Section Description
5) Test-Incident-Report Identifier
7) Incident Description
11) What is IEEE Test Design Specification template?
IEEE Test design specification Template
1) Test Design Specification Identifier
2) Features to be Tested
3) Approach Refinements
4) Test Identification
5) Feature Pass/Fail Criteria
12) What is IEEE Test Procedure Template?
Test Procedure Specification Template
1) Test Procedure Specification Identifier
3) Special Requirements
13) What is IEEE Item Transmittal Report template?
Test Item Transmittal Report
3) Cover Page
4) Section Description
5) Transmittal-Report Identifier
6) Transmitted Items
14) What is IEEE Test Log Report Template?
Test Log Template
1) Test Log Identifier
3) Activity and Event Entries
15) What is IEEE Test Summary Report template?
IEEE Test Summary Report
1) IEEE Test Summary Report Identifier
o Test Items
4) Comprehensiveness Assessment
5) Summary of Results
7) Summary of Activities