Selenium Features, Selenium is an Open source tool, Selenium is cross-platform, Selenium is portable, and Selenium supports Parallel testing.
According to Selenium official web site (selenium.dev) Selenium automates browsers,
> Selenium primary purpose is Testing of Web Applications,
> Selenium also supports Automating Web-based administration tasks,
Features of Selenium
1. Selenium is used for Functional & Regression Testing of Web Applications
Functional Testing: Selenium, Micro Focus UFT/QTP, IBM RFT, SilkTest, etc…
Performance Testing: LoadRunner, JMeter,
Web Services Testing: SoapUI
Mobile Testing: Appium
2. Selenium is an Open source software for automating web browsers
Selenium is open source software, we can download & use Selenium software free of cost
Selenium automates browsers, which means it can automated Web software applications only, and it doesn’t support Desktop software applications.
3. Selenium supports various Operating systems to conduct testing
4. Selenium supports various programming languages to write & execute test cases
Selenium previously supported programming languages.
Selenium currently supported programming languages.
5. Selenium supports various browsers to conduct testing
Selenium WebDriver supports all popular Web browsers, Test Cases are common for every browser, Browser driver varies from One browser to another,
6. Re-usability and Integrations
Selenium automation test suits are reusable and can be tested across multiple browsers, and operating systems.
Selenium is not an all-inclusive test tool, it needs third party frameworks and addons to broaden the scope of testing.
Selenium is not an all-inclusive test tool like UFT, RFT, etc, we need to integrate other software with Selenium for Selenium Testing,
Eclipse IDE as an editor to write & execute Selenium Test Cases,
Java for Programming,
TestNG Testing Framework as Test Runner,
Maven, Jenkins, Extend Report, etc, plugins also integrated with Selenium.
7. Selenium supports Data-Driven Testing, Batch Testing, Cross Browser Testing, and Database Testing.
Data-Driven Testing: Testing Functionality using multiple sets of Test Data.
Batch Testing: Executing series/bunch/group/set of Test cases.
Cross Browser Testing: Executing Test cases against different browsers.
Database Testing: Checks the schema, tables, triggers, etc. of the database under test.
8. Selenium supports Parallel Test Execution, which reduces time and effort.
In parallel testing, we test different modules or applications on multiple browsers in parallel rather than one by one.
Parallel testing helps to reduce execution time and efforts and results in a faster time to delivery. It proves to be handy specifically in case of cross-browser testing, compatibility testing, localization, and internalization testing.
1) Selenium IDE doesn’t support programming
2) Selenium IDE supports Chrome and Firefox browsers only
3) Selenium Grid supports only Test execution
4) Selenium RC was outdated and removed from Selenium latest version