Advantages and Disadvantages of Manual Testing, What is Manual Testing?, Manual Testing Process, and Limitations of Manual Testing.
Software Testing is done in two ways,
1. Manual Testing
2. Automated Testing
Manual Testing Pros and Cons
1. Advantages of Manual Testing
1. No Environment Limitations
(Irrespective of the AUT (Application Under Test) environment we can use Manual Test Process, If it is Test Automation so many environment limitations.)
UFT/QTP doesn’t support Linux Operating Environment.
Selenium doesn’t support Desk Applications Test Automation.)
2. Programming Knowledge is not required.
(In Manual Testing, Understanding Requirements, Documenting Test Cases and Executing Test Cases are the important tasks, but Programming is not used.
If it is Test Automation every tool uses anyone Programming language to enhance test cases, so programming knowledge is mandatory for Test Automation.)
3. Recommendable for Dynamically changing GUI designs.
(If the Graphical User Interface of the Application changes dynamically then Test Automation is not recommendable.)
4. Recommendable for Usability Testing.
(Human users only can judge the look & feel accepts, We cannot check the User-friendliness of the System (AUT) using Test tools.)
5. Manual testing allows for human observation, which may be more useful to find potential defects.
(In Manual Testing, User / Tester interacts more with the AUT then it is easy to find defects and Tester can provide suggestions to the development team.)
Advantages and Disadvantages of Manual Testing
2. Disadvantages of Manual Testing
1. Manual Testing requires more time or more resources, sometimes both Time and Resources.
(Covering all areas of the Application requires more Tests, Creating all possible Test cases, and executing Test cases takes more time. If it is Test Automation, the Test tool can execute Tests quickly.)
2. Less Accuracy
(Human Users (Testers) may make mistakes, so we cannot expect more accuracy in Manual Testing,
If it is Test Automation / Automated Testing, if you provide the correct logic then the test tool can provide the correct output.)
3. Performance testing is impractical in Manual testing.
(Organizing Thousands of Machines / Computers and human Users is impractical, If it is Test Automation, we can create thousands of Virtual users and using 3 or 4 Computers we can apply the Load and test the performance of the Application)
4. Comparing a large amount of data is impractical.
(Comparing two Databases that have thousands of records is impractical, but it is very is in Test Automation.)
5. Processing change requests during software maintenance takes more time.
6. Batch Testing is possible, but for each test execution, Human user interaction is mandatory.
(Batch Testing means executing series of tests, In Batch Testing for every test case execution User / Tester interaction is mandatory, If it is a Test Automation Test tool can execute series of Tests without human user interaction.)
7. GUI Objects Size difference and Color combinations etc.. are not easy to find in Manual Testing.
8. Manual Test Case scope is very less, if it is an Automated test then the scope is more.
(In Manual Testing, Test case scope is very limited why because Tester/user can concentrate on one or two Verification points only, If it is Test Automation, Test tool (Tool also Software) can concentration on multiple verification points at a time.)
9. Executing the same tests, again and again, is time taking process as well as Tedious.
(Sometimes we need to execute the same tests using multiple sets of Test data, for each test iteration user interaction is mandatory, In Test Automation using a Test Data data file (either a Text file or Excel file, or Database file) we can easily conduct Data-driven Testing.)
10. For every release you must rerun the same set of tests which can be tiresome.
(We need to execute Sanity Test Cases and Regression Test cases on every modified build, it takes more time. In Automated Testing / Test Automation once we can create Tests then Tool can execute Tests multiple times quickly.)Follow me on social media: