Telecom Testing Interview Questions, Telecom Testing vs. Mobile Testing, Skills required for Telecom Testing, IVR Testing, and Telecom Test Tools.
The Telecom industry consists of a set of sectors like wireless communication, satellite communication, Internet Service Provider, etc.
The Telecom industry builds, maintains, and operates telecommunication networks and thereby makes communication possible globally through the internet or phone.
Telecom Testing is defined as the testing of Telecommunication software. Since the shift of the telecom sector to digital and computer networks, the telecommunication industry uses software indispensable. The Telecom sector depends on the various types of software components to deliver many services like routing and switching, VoIP broadband access, etc.
Telecom Testing Interview Questions
1. What skill sets do you need to have as a Telecom Tester?
a) Experience with testing VOIP line devices (SIP soft & hard clients, ATA)
Experience with Nortel environment/tools
b) Experience testing telecom solutions (Nortel or other vendors)
c) Experience with testing VOIP line devices (SIP soft & hard clients, ATA)
d) Familiarity with traffic tools (Nortel in-house Hurricane tool, Ameritech Crescendo/Fortissimo, Navtel)
e) Automation skills (we have our tools in Nortel, but someone with automation skills in telephony callP services and/or OAM) Experience with Solaris,
f) Linux Experience with PBXsSuccession CS2K knowledge Large system test experience
g) Experience with IP tools (sniffer, voice quality testing, automated fax/modem testing.
h) IP Telephony (VOIP) knowledge (SIP/H.323, MEGACO/H.248, NCS, MGCF)
i) IMS standards knowledge (802.11, Cable V2)
j) IMS architecture and network topology IP Networking experience/understanding
2. What is IVR Testing?
Test your IVR system to verify proper operation, voice, and DTMF response, and eliminate dead-end menu branches.
An IVR (interactive voice response) system can be a complicated maze of menus, branches, and choices. Complex systems of this type require in-depth testing to ensure that customers are not confused or lost.
IVR manufacturers, systems integrators, and companies that own an IVR, all need to test the functionality of their system before it goes live to the outside world. An automated test platform enables you to verify IVR operations via:
Detection of voice energy
Broadband audio tones
Extensive conditional branching sequences
Interactive test scenarios
Comprehensive testing ensures that your IVR system is ready for customer use. Testing provides peace of mind and reliable operation of your voice system. In addition, testing all IVR menu branches manually is time-consuming, error-prone, and inefficient.
3. What types of testing are done in conformance testing?
In Conformance Testing, the following testing is done here:
– Electrical interface compatibility, e.g. (G703).
– Conformance of protocol, e.g. ITU-T spec.
– Conformance of transport layers (MTP2/3). It is important to ensure agreement of the relevant data standards for the two networks/elements and any differences in operating procedures, (e.g., disaster recovery, etc.), which may differ.
4. What is Interconnection testing in telecom?
Interconnect typically involves testing the connection of two separate entities, usually two networks or network elements. Interconnects in the fixed/mobile network environment will have regulatory requirements or standards if BT is involved. Basic interconnect is concerned with the robustness and integrity of the interface.
5. What are the various types of telecom testing?
Various types of telecom testing are:
1. Interconnection testing.
2. Conformance Testing.
3. IVR Testing.
6. Why do we use an Automated telecom testing solution?
An automated telecom test solution provides comprehensive, consistent testing that can be customized for our specific application. In addition, thorough testing will provide peace of mind for us and guaranteed reliability for our customers.
7. Are there any Test tools available for Telecom Testing?
WCDMA–> Agilent, CAIT, CNT.
8. What are the types of Protocols used in the Telecom Industry?
Here are the popular protocols used in the Telecom industry:
- VoIP technologies: VoIP, IMS, MPLS, ISDN, PSTN
- Signaling and Protocols: SIP, ISDN, Codecs, H.323
- Wireless technologies: GPRS, CDMA, GSM, UMTS
- Network Management: SNMP
- Layer 2 Protocols: ARP, STP, L2TP, PPP
- Layer 3 protocols/routing: ICMP, BGP, ISIS, MPLS
- Infrastructure/Security: ATM, TCP/IP, LAN/VLAN, SSH
9. What are the types of Testing Performed on Telecom Software?
- Interconnection Testing
- Conformance Testing
- IVR Testing
- Performance Testing
- Security Testing
- Interoperability Testing
- Protocol Testing
- Functional Testing