Usage of Programming in Selenium Test Environment, Java Programming for Selenium, Data Types & Variables to handle data, Programming Methods/Functions to create reusable functions for Test cases, Exception handling code to handle run-time errors in Test cases, Selenium Test Environment Setup, and Selenium Automation Framework.
Selenium is a functional & regression test tool, other tools for functional testing are SmartBear TestComplete, Micro Focus UFT, IBM RFT, SilkTest, and Watir, etc.
Usage of Programming in Selenium Test Environment
Selenium is a functional and regression testing tool for testing computer web applications at the system test level.
Selenium is not a complete test tool, it requires some third part frameworks and plug-ins in order to broaden the scope of testing.
Selenium is an open source software and it uses some open source software to create full fledged test environment.
The Selenium Test Environment is dynamic and it depends on the programming language we select. Suppose we select Java for Selenium, then we use the Eclipse IDE as an editor, the TestNG Testing framework as a test runner, Maven as a build automation tool.
Nearly 70% Selenium testers are using Java for Selenium, as Java is having highest market share in this area so you try to learn Java for Selenium.
Java can be used with Selenium in automating web application no matter which language the application is written.
We integrate Selenium with other Software like Java, TestNG, etc. in Eclipse IDE to create Selenium Test environment.
Java for Selenium
Some important uses of Java programming for Selenium:
- We use Java Programming syntax to write Selenium test cases.
- We use Java Data Types & Variables to handle different type of data in Selenium test cases.
- We may use Java operators to perform mathematical, comparison, and logical operations.
- We use Java conditional or decision making statements to insert conditions in Selenium test cases.
- We use Java loop statements for Data driven testing.
- We use Java methods to create reusable functions for Selenium test cases
- We use Java exception handling code to handle run-time errors in Selenium test cases.
- We use Java strings to return data from application elements like edit boxes.
- We use Java file handling concept to read data from external files.
- We use Java JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) to connect to databases with Selenium and conduct Database testing.
- We use Java comment syntax to write comments in Selenium test cases.
Note: Java Standard Edition or Core Java is enough for Automation testing using Selenium, Advance Java is not required.